The most annoying TV commercial

Gatsby Hair Jam

Commercials on TV have become very common recently. Among the various types of commercials, some are creative and amusing while others are too repetitive and boring. I had never really had a commercial that I hated to death, but there is one that I find absurd. The hair jam commercial from Gatsby is probably the most eccentric commercial that I had ever seen.

The commercial starts out with a strange guy holding the hair jam. Only from the head to the upper torso of the man is shown in the screen. His entire skin is covered with a dark grey hue and has two horn-shaped parts in his hair, resembling that of a devil. Next to the weird guy is a picture of a man. Whenever a picture appears on the screen, the strange guy says either “hair jam” or “not hair jam” depending on the style of the hair. If the man in the picture has a nice hair style, the weird man says “hair jam.” But if a creepy man with an awful hair style appears in the picture, the weird guy says “not hair jam.” Just by the explanations above, one may say that the commercial isn’t that bad. However, starting from the appearance of the guy to the weird pictures that show up, I can guarantee that the commercial is weird enough.

First of all, the voice and the looks of the weird guy make me dislike the advertisement. A weird looking guy with dark grey skin constantly repeats the words hair jam and no hair jam. The commercial even ends with him saying “Ta-dah, hair jam.” The steadfast and indifferent tone of his voice makes the advertisement appear creepier. Even the background of the whole scene looks eerie. There’s no background music like other commercials, and the only words that the weird guy says are “hair jam” or “not hair jam.”

Secondly, the pictures that change after he says the phrases are sometimes very strange. One of the pictures has two old men with bunny headbands and one of them is wearing a dress. There’s also a picture of a monk with barely any hair and a man with hair as long as that of an average woman. So the main reason I think that this commercial is so disturbing is that it makes no sense at all. There is too much exaggeration in the advertisement. Using hair jam wouldn’t change a person’s facial appearance. Just because you don’t use hair jam doesn’t mean that you are ugly or not stylish. In the commercial, all the men who used the hair jam seem to be handsome while other men who didn’t use the hair are either creepy old men or has the weirdest hair styles. The commercial seems to give us a silent message, such as “If you don’t use this hair jam, you’ll become one of these weirdos,” forcing us to buy the hair jam.

I honestly cannot understand how the producer wanted to advertise the product. I think that the method that was used to advertise the hair jam is incorrect because the commercial contains a negative meaning that people who don’t use the hair jam tend to be uglier than those who use the hair jam. This commercial should be deleted or remade someday so that people who don’t use the hair jam would be less offended by it.

(567)

2 thoughts on “The most annoying TV commercial

1. At first I thought the man was saying ‘Hair Jam Mania’ until know. The advertisement is very confusing and annoying. I don’t like this commercial because as you said, it seems like its shouting “If you don’t use this, you’re a weirdo”